Thursday, June 26, 2008

Queue up!



Someone pinch us! Did we really just spend a day at Wimbledon?

What a fantastic day. The sun was shining when we queued up in Wimbledon Park. The wait went on for over two and a half hours but it was well worth the prize.

We spent our first hour watching a couple of matches on courts 18 and 19 near Henman Hill. The courts were so stunning...perfectly level and so green.



We noticed another queue and having enjoyed the first one so thoroughly we joined in. Turns out this one was for resale tickets to the show courts. We spent several hours taking turns holding our place in line and taking in matches around the grounds before we purchased tickets to court one for only 5 POUNDS a piece!

A funny thing happened during our last half hour of the queue...a lady showed up in line that we had not noticed before. We figured she was with the man in front of us. After ten minutes of watching th
em not interact at all I decided to ask the man if she was with him. He said he hadn't seen her before. I asked the people behind us if they had seen her and they answered no as well. They brought it up with her and she swore she had been there. Funny in the four hours of waiting and conversation we hadn't noticed her bright red polka dot dress! Anyway she tried to hold her ground against the people behind us but an official finally came and told her he would not sell her a ticket even if she did wait it out. It was quite the comedy!

Turned out the tickets we purchased were awesome. Two of them on the 3rd row behind the players chairs. We could have almost spit on them...not that we would have:)



We watched Andy Roddick's 1st round match against Schwank and Jelena Jankovich's 1st round match. They we
re both so unbelievable. We tried to take it all in as best we could.

The kids were so good for the long day. I think they really enjoyed the experience almost as much as Abe and I did.

We loved it...it is so fun
to be right here while it is going on and the BBC coverage is amazing. We can see any match on the first five courts at any given time. So we miss nothing.




6 comments:

Bamma said...

What fun your pictures are! Such a beautiful place. Such beautiful children. What a delightful addition to your memories. You'll be so good at queueing up that we will have to find lines here for you to enjoy, like maybe the standby line at General Conference.

Keep it up.

Bamma

6 P's in a Pod said...

Awesome! How GREEN is that grass? I love it!

rrluke said...

I was so hoping that I would be mature enough to not be jealous - but, nope! It truly looks as great in your pictures as I have pictured in my head for many years. I am sad it did not work out for Preston and I to join you in our tennis whites - I'll have to save mine for another day. I can say I am very happy for your family that you were able to go - what a memory!
Can't wait to see you guys - time is flying! Keep having fun.
Rahel

Sara said...

WOW! So very fun for such a Tennis-loving Lady! :)

{jane} said...

How cool is that!?!

jill allison said...

I am continually amazed at each post. What a dream come true. How great that your kids are sharing in all of this. Experiences they will never forget. We miss you and I just barely read your sweet email you sent me a month ago, that is an old address, so I never check it. I'll be sure to send you my correct one. When are you officially coming back? Love to everyone!