Monday, June 23, 2008

Gadfield Elm



Friday night, I headed North with the Stake Relief Society to Gadfield Elm, where the oldest chapel owned by the church is located.  In 1840, at Gadfield Elm and nearby Benbow Farm, Wilford Woodruff, Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and others baptized hundreds of people within just a few months.  Abe's ancestor, Ann Green, was one of those converts so the place held special meaning to me. 

The chapel and land were sold off by the early British converts for their journey to Zion. The place fell into ruin.  In the Nineties the land was placed on the market and some local church members regained possession of it and restored it to its original condition at great personal sacrifice- then gave it to the church.  The chapel was dedicated in 2004 by President Hinckley.  


We stayed in the campground adjacent to the chapel.  I was kept completely entertained by the energetic and hilarious English women.  They sang, danced, laughed and told stories until the wee hours of morning. We finally headed to our tent for more giggles until, finally, the tent began to get lighter and lighter We heard the birds beginning to chirp and knew we should probably doze off.  I really love the sisters here and admire their kinship with one another.  



We returned home Saturday afternoon to see another baptism.  Colin Puddephat, a sweet gentleman we have come to know and love was baptized by Abe.  His wife Paula will be baptized soon.  I also learned that Vivian, a Chinese woman, has committed to baptism.  I am so thrilled for her. She has a strong testimony already. I have been on two visits with the Sister Missionaries and it has been amazing to see the gospel change her.  I love being able to go.

A neat thing about Vivian.  When the Sister's committed her to live the covenants of baptism they asked what she thought.  She bowed her head.  Sat for a moment.  Then said sincerely "I will keep my promise."  It was an incredible moment to witness.

2 comments:

6 P's in a Pod said...

Amazing!! What am I doing here in Provo, Utah cleaning toilets and mowing lawns? I want to be where YOU GUYS are!!

{jane} said...

What an awesome weekend for you to get away with your English girlfriends!

by the way, Dusty & I {and kids} went up to your Grandview neighborhood last night with the Stakers and did the annual illegal fireworks with the neighborhood up there, it was an amazing turn-out and lots of fun. We used the huge lawn a couple houses over from the Stakers, my kids loved it. It inspired us to invest in more illegal fireworks from now on. ;-) Your family was missed!