Sunday, June 1, 2008

Kew Gardens


We had heard the Kew Gardens (The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew) are beautiful and a "must see" and as we had a sunny day yesterday, we decided to check them out.  
To be honest,  we were a bit disappointed with them.   It was very hard to park and so spread out we didn't see as much as we probably could.  

We did however climb the steps to the top of "Tree Walk", a new exhibit opened just this month. It was built along the treetops and made us a little weak in the knees as you could see through the walkway to the ground below.   When arriving at the top, McKay said "this is freaking me out!" 

We also walked past the Great Pagoda, a Japanese pagoda built back in 1762 and the kids spent a lot of time wrestling on the grass in front of it while Abe kept trying to get pictures of the airplanes flying overhead headed for Heathrow.  He wanted to get a good picture of an airplane with the Pagoda.  Never really succeeded I'm afraid.  

We had been to the National Botanical Gardens in Ireland in April and really enjoyed all of the different plants and flowers it had, I was a little less impressed here...but perhaps we were a little late in the season and a little too tired to get around to everything.   I am sure Mark Magleby, our local garden expert will be disappointed in our Kew Experience, he'll have to come back with us sometime and share his knowledge with us.

2 comments:

Hannah S said...

Love the pictures! I think the airplane/pagoda one turned out nicely.
I LOVED Kew Gardens but I was able to go alone and go at my own pace. It is huge...so I was definitely tired...but maybe you can go again w/just you and Abe or something.

{jane} said...

they look beautiful from the pictures, and it seems your kids had a ball wrestling!

...hey, i wanted to tell you... you may already know this - but you can turn your blog posts into memory books on blurb.com. I haven't done one yet, but I've seen it and they are great - plus everyone around here is raving about them being uber quality and affordable. My neighbor just did her first two years of her blog (500 pages) but it's not slide-show friendly...you may want to consider that when doing your posts if you want books later...fyi.