Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Glory Days




The Reading Stake had a "Sports Day" on Monday as it was a Bank Holiday. This is a tradition that has been going on in the stake for over twenty years. We met at the Palmer Park Sports Stadium in Reading in the pouring rain with no idea what to expect except that members from the ward seemed very interested in whether or not we could run.

Turns out it was a full on track meet, very competitive between the Reading, Oxford, Woodley, Bracknell, Farnborough and Basingstoke wards which included every track event except the javelin, pole vault and high jump.

Zach competed up with the 12 and 13 year olds and I competed for the 30-49 year olds. We each competed in the 100 M, 400 M, 800 M, and 1500 M as well as the 4X100 M relay and the long jump.

Each ward needed two racers per age group for every event and though I was excited to relive my track and field days it was exhausting to run so many races. We did make our ward proud as Zach brought in a first in the long jump, 3rd in the 1500M and 2nd in the relay and I brought in 5 first place finishes.

As the day progressed the sun arrived and the activities for the primary children, sack races, skipping races, sprints and 3-legged races began. Sadie and McKay really enjoyed themselves but Lucy couldn't take the pressure when we lined her up to run the 25 M race for the 3-5 year olds she burst into tears and was disqualified.

Abe offered to help when we got there and they made him the official for the long jump. He ended up stuck there all day, but was a good sport about it.
Overall we all came home sunburned and feeling proud.
Wish I had more pics but I was running much of the time:)

5 comments:

Julie said...

Wow!!!!
Way to go--both of you!
You are amazing, I think your kids will remember this day forever.

Sara said...

Looks like so much fun! Maybe you should start a Grandview 21st Ward Sports Day when you get back... now that you see how it's done and know how it's run! :)

Allie and Roger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassandra Laine said...

Wow 1st place for 5 different races!! That actually is kinda what I was expecting you to say and then did! haha and Zachy good job! I would be doing what Lucy did no question there ;) My mom and dad and Missa are SO EXCITED for their trip!! I went home for mother's day/bday and missed you guys! We went to go pick up Becca and Louisa for a movie...but we went to YOUR house...I was so confused! I was waiting for a bunch of little blondes to be jumpin' around but they were all darkies ;) Your home is so beautiful I can't get enough of it! I watch those HGTV shows and just think that they've got nothin' compared to your home! Anyways love you and am loving your blog!! OH and for M-day jake and I started a blog for mi madre!! She would love it if you commented on it!! You'd be one of the first! ;) its: allieandroger.blogspot.com thanks gretchen love you!!!

{jane} said...

way to go Gretchen! woo-hoo!

As I started reading I was just waiting to hear that you came in 1st place, I had complete faith in you! By the way, our soccer team really can't wait for you to be back - we need you in a bad way!

Our ward in Washington State totally had track day growing up and it was a big deal just like it sounds your day went...I remember it being So fun!