Friday, March 14, 2008

"Up in Town" and Windsor



First of all the drive to Windsor from our house is beautiful.  It winds through tree canopied streets past the Ascot Downs Racecourse and is breathtaking.  We love everything about this fantastic castle including the views, Waterloo Hall, and the State Apartments.  The kids were hoping to find the queen at home, but her colors were not flying.  They told us she usually spends Easter at Windsor so she'll be there in a couple of weeks.  Sadie enjoyed the gardens most, McKay the guards that marched around and the cannon, Lucy liked the fact that princesses lived there and wondered when she could meet the queen and Zach just like everything about it.  

We needed to take a train ride so we headed to London.  I don't think McKay moved once the whole trip, he was entranced with the whole experience. We arrived at Waterloo station and walked down along the Thames enjoying the street performers and freezing.  It is NOT warm here yet but we are promised it will be beautiful by Easter.   We decide to go up in London Eye (a huge ferris wheel overlooking the city) and loved it!  We could see Parliament and Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and everything else all the way out to Wembley Stadium.  Brilliant! (to use our new favorite word)
Then we head to Westminster Abbey, take a ride on a double-decker bus through the West End and visit Covent Garden.  

6 comments:

Sara said...

Oh! WOW! Just reading the names of all those places makes me want to come and see England myself! (Hope you don't mind if I crash on your couch next week... I'm already half-packed... that won't be a problem will it? Hmmm... wait... Just realized that I don't have a passport, BLAST! My visit will have to be delayed!) :)

What an incredible introduction to your stay... you are going to have the time of your lives! I am so excited for you (and I don't mind saying... a little jealous!) I guess I'll have to live vicariously through your blog... :)

Hannah S said...

How fun!!!!!! I am definitely jealous. You will be able to see so much this summer! And I see you're already donning the English (or at least London) attire.....black and gray. nice.
I love to hear all about your adventures!

Bjorn & Kris said...

We have been checking for an update daily! Love to hear what you guys are up to out there! :)

{jane} said...

How awesome! Dusty & I spent 3 days in London as part of our 10th Anniversary and you pretty much hit everything we did, in your day! This is the time of year we were there, too, and it was so cold! I hope it warms up quickly for you - We still woke up to snow yesterday, so don't think you're missing warm weather here!

The Fox Den said...

Hey Knells! I snagged your address off of the Trejos. Glad you are there safe... looking forward to the updates :)

6 P's in a Pod said...

If you could see me right now, you'd see that I am GREEN with envy. Please post tons and tons of pictures so I can live vicariously through you all--